This year, your child will be using Lexia® PowerUp Literacy®, a computer-based program that tailors instruction to their specific needs to support their literacy development. The activities in PowerUp support and build on our literacy curriculum, focusing on three areas essential to becoming a proficient reader: word study, grammar, and comprehension.
Here’s how PowerUp works:
- Your child begins PowerUp at a starting point that fits their specific needs and then engages in online activities throughout the week.
- Online activities include direct instruction and immediate feedback as your child learns new skills.
- Each student has a weekly usage target that can be seen on the student dashboard.
- Progress and performance are reported directly to teachers so they can provide extra help when needed.
- Paper-and-pencil activities are also used for practice and may be completed in school or at home.
- Achievement certificates may be sent home to celebrate success and show progress in the program. Here’s how you can set your child up for success:
- Students should complete the tasks on their own. That means no hints or tips from grown-ups, friends, or siblings! This is important because PowerUp provides extra support and instruction if students struggle with a task, and alerts teachers when further help is required.
- Try to provide a quiet space for learning. Headphones can be helpful but aren’t required.
- You can encourage and celebrate your child’s progress via the Your Progress tile found on the PowerUp student dashboard"